Monday 9 February 2009

Fire and Devastation!

Sadly, it's been a horror couple of days in the state of Victoria. We had a 47 degree centigrade day yesterday, coupled with high winds. There were warnings from the authorities that there was a high risk of bushfires, as conditions would be similar to the devastating Ash Wednesday fires in 1983. Unfortunately, the warnings came true and the fires have been even worse than those Ash Wednesday ones!

This morning's death count was 14, but, as of 10pm tonight the count has risen to 84 and will rise further as many are still missing. Whole towns have been razed by fires, the scenes we are getting from the media resemble war zones. We are safe where we live in Melbourne, but we have relatives living in the fire zones (luckily they are safe), and friends that we just don't know about yet! My hubby knows that one of his friends hasn't been able to find out whether his wife and daughters escaped the fires......but it doesn't sound too good.

My home town of Bendigo in Central Victoria has had massive property damage too, I was really concerned for my Dad! He told me the flames were visible from his home and he could hear the roar of the fire....luckily, the wind changed direction in time and he was safe.

Today is much cooler and less windy, but there are still some fires burning out of control. This kind of thing makes you put things in perspective and realise what is important in life. Possessions can always be replaced, but lives, especially loved ones, cannot!

11 comments:

Ann said...

Oh, Lyn, glad to know you are safe! I will keep your family and friends in my prayers!

Liddy said...

My heart goes out to you, I've been watching the news and I can't imagine how horrible it must all be. I hope it rains real soon, and I pray that those affected get all the love and support they need.
Be strong.

Sarah Feeney said...

Glad to hear you are safe Lyn, and that your family members are safe too. Make sure your dad gets straight out at the first sign of fire - no home is worth anyone's life. :)

This is such a horrific tragedy - my heart goes out to all those affected.

Anonymous said...

WOW Lyn!! I'm so sorry to hear of this! Glad to know your father is OK. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Be safe!

Christine Riley said...

I'm so sorry for what you're going through! Big hugs to you and I'm so glad your father is safe!
Hugs, Christine

BLJ Graves Studio said...

Glad you are safe!

Sonya said...

Hi Lyn. I just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you over there amid the horror and turmoil of the fires. We see footage all the time on the t.v here and it is just so so sad.My thoughts and prayers are with you. Things like this sure do put things into pespective, you are so right! Keep safe.x

Sonya said...

Hi Lyn. We were saddened to hear there are more fires in Victoria today. We do hope your Dad and his home are still safe. Sending Love

Shirley said...

Oh my gosh Lyn, I have been praying for everyone in Victoria. I have another blog friend who lives in Victoria province. Here is her site:
http://shirleyfyfe.typepad.com/reflections/

Thanks for your update, Lyn.

Christine Riley said...

Hi Lyn, just wnated to check in on you again and see how you were doing. Been thinking about you, hope all is well.
Hugs, Christine

Virginia Killmore said...

So sorry your dad had to go through this.