Wednesday 25 February 2009

I knew this would happen one day........sigh!

I should've prepared for it, but didn't! This morning, while surfing the net, the power went out without warning. It came back on around 15 minutes later, but sadly my computer didn't! It was telling me something couldn't be recovered so insert your original Windows disk.......which incidentally didn't come supplied with my computer. I vaguely remembered that I was supposed to have some backup disks to recover stuff, but I'll spare you all the longwinded details on how long it took me to contact my computer manufacturer to get some answers and then ended up having basically figure it out for myself.......grr!

The bad news is that I lost everything on my C Drive, all my Favourites, everything in my email box, all the software that I've installed since I bought this computer...so I've spent all day trying to get it in a useable condition again.

The good news is that I have a partitioned hard drive on which I have stored all my documents and photos (whew!), so it hasn't been a total catastrophe! I also did have my Favourites and email address book saved when I changed computers, which was 2 years ago.......I still haven't figured out how to import the address book though.

I had been seriously thinking of buying a decent program that will back up information on a daily basis, but hadn't found an appropriate one yet...Duh! If anyone knows of one, can you PLEASE let me know the name of it, I don't want to have to do this ever again!

BTW, if I am in regular email contact with anyone reading my blog, can you please send me an email just so I can save your email addy in my address book again!

I'm off to bed now.....I'm so sick of looking at this computer screen! Byee!

9 comments:

Marnie said...

EEEEEEK Lyn! I'm sending you cyber hugs since I'm sure your in need of something cyber that doesn't make you want to throw the computer across the room!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!! I'm so sorry about this!! Computers can be soooo frustrating!! Hope you get things worked out again!

BLJ Graves Studio said...

So sorry to hear that. Computers can be so frustrating!

Oma said...

My old computer's motherboard got toasted during a power surge. I now have a power surge protector which has a battery backup that I have my computer plugged into and I haven't had a problem since. It beeps when there is a power surge or when the power goes out. I can then safely exit my computer and not lose anything.

Christine Riley said...

I'm so sorry Lyn, hope you are able to get it fixed!
Hugs, Christine

Shirley said...

I, like you have an external drive too. I also have Windows Live One with backup, virus, etc. I have not had any problems with it either and it is pretty straight forward. Now for the twinge. I have been getting little subtle sounds on my hard drive and I am waiting I guess to see what happens. LOLOLOL I can program Windows Live One Care to Backup and I can also ask it to do it now. I have it done once a week and it backs it up on my external drive. Hope this helps. May be more than you want to know.

Vicky said...

Oh Lyn, at least you didn`t loose your photos...I hope you can get it going again with no major hassles, best of luck.

Virginia Killmore said...

So sorry to hear I need to get on the stick myslef. You were so smart to partion your drive

Sandie said...

Gosh Lyn - pooh cack to that!!!!!

Hope you have recovered from such a terrible ordeal.

Luv Sandie