Wednesday 4 February 2009

Masculine Owl Card.

I totally forgot it was my Son-in-law's birthday until my daughter reminded me a couple of days ago.......my bad! I needed some inspiration in a hurry and had just copied the sketch of CPS #101 and had it sitting on my desk, so decided to use it!

I took a few liberties and used an oval instead of the round shape. I've used the Cuttlebug Argyle embossing folder with Cappucino Core'dinations cardstock, then sanded back the embossing to reveal the core colour.

I felt the design still needed something on the top half of the card so I used a small Collections chipboard owl . At the last Melbourne Paperific I went to I visited the Pipedreamink ladies and they had a make-and-take with the larger chipboard owls and using their fabulous Opals Embossing Enamels (UTEE which comes in the most gorgeous colours!).......so I've put what I learned to use and covered my small chipboard owl with The Nut (brown) Opals and embossed him with an Autumn Leaves swirly stamp- a better description of how to use Opals is in the FAQ section on the Pipedreamink website. The eyes and beak are also covered with Zeehan (silver) Opals, then when it's melted with the heat gun, dipped into Dazzling Diamonds glitter.I've added some amber coloured Kaiser rhinestone gems as eyes, and edged the owl with a gold Krylon pen. There's a close-up photo below.

Other supplies used :- Happy Birthday greeting by Penny Black, bronze coloured brads, blue satin ribbon and blue staples, Nestabilities ovals, metal cake embellishment (from the $2 shop). I did a little decorating on the inside of the card too (see below). The balloon and cake slice stamps are by Fiskars, the greeting stamp is unidentified.


Thanks for dropping by today!

13 comments:

Savitri said...

Very cute! You did a masculine card so well!!! Mine seems to always tend to look a bit girly :)

Anonymous said...

WOWZER!! What a very cool looking owl!! Love this!! :) TFS!

Lorelie Kim said...

Love the CB embossing and what you did with the chipboard owl!!

Marnie said...

OOOH this is AWESOME!

Shirley said...

I am in love with this card, Lyn. I love owls to begin with and then to see what you did with him and the rest of the card! Wow~

Charity Hassel said...

fabulous work with the cps sketch! love all the texture and the cute owl of course!

~amy~ said...

FUN card...love the owl!!!

Christine Riley said...

Wow, this is wonderful! I love that owl!
Hugs, Christine :)

Ann said...

Lyn, I love your owl, and the CB on the Core'dinations is FABulous! I just got that folder, so I may have to CASE your idea! ;)

B said...

Great card! Sure he loved it!

Lea L. said...

What a fab card! I love the dry embossing and that great owl accent! Thanks for playing at CPS this week!

~Lea

Vicky said...

What a great card Lyn...so much texture, your SIL is sure to love it :)

BLJ Graves Studio said...

Great card!